Hard on the heels of updating my earlier post about the Internet of Things (IoT), I came across another post on ZDnet entitled “How to Secure Your IoT Deployment in 10 Steps,” that was published a few days ago. While many of these tips seem targeted at device manufacturers and system integrators as opposed to consumers, the full post is worth a read. Here, in brief, are the 10 steps – I strongly recommend reading the full post to get a more detailed explanation:
- Make security a feature.
- Don’t buy into “security through obscurity.”
- Consider security as cheap insurance.
- Play hacker.
- Go for the minimum.
- Check all your components.
- Provide an update capability (as long as it doesn’t present a backdoor).
- Use the right hardware.
- Map your system, end to end.
- Perform some “IoT estate planning.”
If you’re deploying any kind of IoT devices, this post is definitely worth a read. Did I mention you should read it? Yeah. Read it. Don’t think it’s very important? Then read this.